Monday, April 16, 2012

80's Flicks and your Kids - Retro Family Time - Family - Parenting

So what do you do when it's 6:30, too early for bedtime and too late for cartooons? Let's be honest, yes, there are cartoon channels that are now 24 hours, but I just don't want to watch them at this point. After dinner time is a time for mommy and daddy to relax too. Board games? Yes they are fun, but sometimes can be too much for my toddler to handle. He really wants to crash and destroy at this stage so...next.

Cards? Playdoh? Coloring? Mmm...yeah, we can do that. We have done that. Not a bad way to make the transition into relax time, but how about the old tube?? What can you watch at home with your kids that isn't completely mind draining, explicit, or idiotic? Welcome to the world of eighties movies. That's right family flicks made in the eighties that actually challenge your child to keep up with the storyline, use their imaginations, and oh yeah, pay attention.

Here are some great ones: The Goonies; The Neverending Story; Shelley Duvall's Faere Tale Theatre; Flight of the Navigator; The Muppets Take Manhattan; Jim Henson's the Storyteller Series; Amazing Stories; Labyrinth; Gremlins; Ghostbusters; Popeye; everything Star Wars; and Beetlejuice.

Now of course this is only a small list and you may argue that some of the material is inappropriate for small children, but honestly whatever you think is inappropriate is probably going right over your kids' heads. What I love about these movies is that I can watch them, my husband enjoys them and doesn't complain, in fact I'd say he's downright enthusiastic about watching some of them. My kids are enthralled by the stories as opposed to just being hypnotized by super loud special effects. I feel like a lot of newer movies sacrifice story for cool effects and to me that's just not good. It's cool and entertaining, yeah I'll give you that, but I want some quality time with my family.

I want to watch my kids when they are watching a movie I saw when I was their age and see their reactions and discuss it with them. You'd be surprised by the cool things my five year old has come up with by watching some of these movies. Most of all what I like is that we can all relax around the living room and get along together.



iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

No comments:

Post a Comment